Smoky Bacon Cheddar Cornbread
Submitted by: Tyler Scheidt
This recipe won 1st place in the cornbread category of the Sev1Tech 2015 Chili and Cornbread Cook-off! When I set out to re-invent cornbread, I thought to myself, why not combine two of the best ingredients known to man? Bacon and cheese. This cornbread is heavy, rich, and will probably raise your cholesterol a few points. It makes a great comfort food and I encourage everyone to share it at a family event. It never fails to put a smile on every face!
- 1 pound Applewood smoked bacon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 large can cream style corn (15 oz. approx.)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
Instructions – Baking the Bacon:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and evenly space out bacon strips
- Bake for 10-15 minutes
- Flip bacon with tongs. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked to your preference.
- Remove from oven and set on a paper towel-lined plate to cool
- When cool, chop up the bacon into bits. (I prefer smaller bits so each piece of bread is even)
Instructions – Cornbread:
- Raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Grease a 10-inch deep dish pan.
- Combine eggs, corn meal mix, creamed corn, sour cream, heavy cream, and oil. Pour half of the corn meal mixture into the greased pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with bacon and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Pour remaining mixture on top. Save 1 cup of cheese for the end.
- Bake for 30 minutes and remove from oven. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes to melt.
Let cool 10 minutes and enjoy!