Aunt June’s Slow Cooked Greek Lamb Stew
Submitted by: Paul Boisvert
Prep Time: 20 minutes Slow Cook Time: 8 Hours
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground 4 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped.
- 1/4 cup Medium white wine.
- 1 tablespoon Dried oregano.
- 1 each Fresh lemon, halved.
- 1 lb. Yukon gold potato, scrubbed and quartered.
- 24 oz. Lean lamb stew meat.
- 1/4″ trim, raw
- 1/4 oz. bay leaf, (one leaf)
- 3 each fresh garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Fresh white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoon gold tomato paste
- 1 12 oz. can of gold tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock, fat-free, reduced sodium
- 2 each large carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1/4″ 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice (cooked separately)
- Add olive oil and onions to the bottom of the slow cooker. Then place the potatoes flesh down, carrots, and lemon halves into the slow cooker.
- Refrigerate 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint. Add all remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the seasoned lamb mixture into the slow cooker. Do not stir. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or for 4 hours on high.
- Remove lid and gently stir to make sure everything is well mixed. Use tongs to remove lemon halves and bay leaf. Taste, and add additional salt if needed.
- Place two large spoons of white rice in each of 4 bowls
- Ladle the stew into the 4 rice bowls, making sure to distribute the potatoes and carrots evenly. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon mint.
- Serve immediately, or store and reheat.
All the flavors combine to create a really savory stew. The ingredients for this Greek stew can be prepared quite easily for a superb weeknight dinner. Enjoy!