Submitted by: Michael Aldave
Here is a traditional dish from Peru that I enjoyed almost every day of my recent trip there. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ pound of fillets of fresh white fish
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, approximately 10-15 limes
- 1-2 yellow or habanero peppers, cut in half, seeded and deveined
- 2-3 branches fresh cilantro
- Cut the fish into small cubes and place in a glass bowl. Cover the pieces of fish with very cold water and 1 tablespoon of salt, cover and refrigerate while preparing the onion and lime juice.
- Rub the onion slices with 1/2 tablespoon of salt and rinse with cold water.
- Rinse the fish to remove the salt.
- Put the fish cubes, the onion slices, the cilantro branches, and the peppers in a glass container and pour the lime juice over the ingredients. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 5-15 minutes or until the fish starts to whiten.
- Remove the cilantro branches and chili peppers from the ceviche mixture. Try the fish ceviche and salt if necessary.
- To serve put the ceviche in dish or bowl add a little of the slices of onion, chopped cilantro to taste.
- Serve immediately with your choice of side dishes (ex. corn and sweet potato).