Emily’s Favorite Banana Bread
Submitted by: Emily Gaudinsky
I adapted this recipe from Mr. Roger’s Banana Bread recipe to include a little less sugar and some whole wheat flour making it more appropriate for breakfast. It is great toasted with butter or cream cheese.
- 4 over-ripe bananas, lots of brown spots
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, or shredded coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In a bowl mix together flours, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas. Add sugar and mix well. Crack and add the egg and mix well. Stir in flour mixture until mixed in. Stir in melted butter.
- Add optional walnuts, chocolate chips, or shredded coconut. Pour into buttered loaf pan.
- Place into oven and bake 1 hour.
- Take out when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool a little and remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes: Recipe can be doubled and the bread can be frozen once well cooled and wrapped.